If you want to be really successful as a content writer and make good money, having your own blog is essential. The blog works as your own platform in finding new freelance writing clients. In addition to this, you can promote products like your own ebook and courses.
Creating blog is extremely SIMPLE and it does not require any coding skills (HTML). In fact, the whole process is somewhat automatic. Irrespective of your age you can start creating a blog.
Here is a guide on how to start a blog for content writers.
STEPS NEEDED TO START A BLOG – START BLOGGING
- Choosing Blogging Platform
- Choose a domain
- Purchase Hosting
- Installing WordPress
- Start using WordPress
START BLOGGING – CHOOSING THE BLOGGING PLATFORM
There are lots of different platforms on which you can build your blog. But the most popular and my favorite is WordPress. I have used WordPress for years. Some of the most popular websites in the world are built on WordPress including this blog!
WordPress has been downloaded over 100 Million times and increasing day by day! The sheer stats is enough to convince you that it is the best platform to use.
The Pros of WordPress are:
- There are plenty of free themes and layouts to choose
- No need for coding! This is one thing which forces us who are not expert in programming to keep away from internet activity.WordPress uses plugins, there is a plugin for almost everything, so no need for coding
- You can easily add images and multimedia
- Ridiculously simple to install (takes less than 2 minutes)
With WordPress, you can create what is called a ‘self-hosted blog’, and this is what we are going to be doing. This means that we can use our own hosting and most importantly, our own domain name.
It also makes your blog more authentic if it is self-hosted on your own domain, and you have full ownership of it. For this reason, I always self-host my blogs.
START BLOGGING – HOW TO HOST YOUR BLOG
Are you ready to start your own blog or freelancer’s site but are confused by the technicality of it or are just looking to do it cheaply? No matter your answer I’ve got you covered.
Web Hosting is essentially about Page Load Speed and Uptime. There are numerous web hosting providers which provide similar service. I for one with all my experience would recommend the one which delivers high Page Load Speed and 100% Uptime.
All my sites are hosted on SiteGround.
I host all my sites with SiteGround mainly for three reasons.
- SiteGround delivers great performance regarding blog load speed and uptime. It is also easy to use and probably one of the best picks for beginners.
- The best customer service. Probably the best among all the hosting companies. I find it is extremely important for a beginner as no tutorial can teach you 100 % unless you start to do it and go through the process of hosting your site. You will find 24/7 customer service executives helping you whenever you want.
- I get a free domain name along with the hosting plan and thereby saving good money.
SETTING UP THE BLOG ON WORDPRESS
Just follow the following steps and you will be able to install your blog easily within 5 minutes.
- Visit www.SiteGround.com and click on “Sign Up” or “See Plans”
If you are a beginner, I will personally recommend you to select the start-up plan. When your blog grows you can upgrade your plan accordingly.
- Select a domain name of your choice like I have here http://99businessideas.com
Review and complete order
I like SiteGround more than other hosting providers because here only you will get the discount on any plan for any duration, unlike other companies. Other providers generally offer discounts for longer hosting durations.
That’s it. You’re now officially a blogger with a WordPress site! Congrats.
Now you can move on to the fun stuff like finding a good theme (I use MyThemeShop Themes) and of course, writing pages which will showcase your profile.
Here are some pages you may want to create:
This is the most important page for a content writer who is maintaining the blog. Here you write about yourself, a brief about your expertise and how you can help the readers.
Never forget to have a contact page on your blog. This is the place where your customers will reach you.
One thing must be mentioned here. Never provide your email here because spambots will come to know and your mailbox will be filled with unwanted emails. It is better to use a contact form plugin which is free in plenty. You can also write “your name(at) your site(dot)com.”
If you have something to show for your past and present work, you must showcase here. Check Sara Frandina’s for inspiration.
Work With Me
If your objective of creating the blog is to sell content writing service, you must have this page. If you want, you can mention your pricing details of the services provided.
Congratulations! You are almost done. Start writing articles. Don’t think much initially. Develop a writing plan what articles you are going to write and write at least 50 articles in a period of three months. You will learn more what is working for your blog and what not. Just write. And yes promote the posts as much you can with social media platforms.
You might need help in the process of developing the blog. Everyone does who has become successful. Let us provide you with some very popular books recommended by successful writers.
- Sophie Lizard’s Get Started for Freelance Blogging Success
- Jon Morrow’s Guest Blogging
- Kristi Hines’ Blog Post Promotion: The Ultimate Course
- Problogger’s Guide to Your First Week of Blogging
Finally, the key to success is to remain consistent. Write engaging articles in a consistent manner and promote as much as possible. It may take time, but success is bound to come. Best of Luck!